Reading to learn is an important skill in science instruction. Here are some resources for helping students negotiate informational text.
- ReadWriteThink Lesson Plan: Using Science Texts to Teach the Organizational Features of Nonfiction
- Improving Reading Skills in the Science Classroom (Reading Rockets)
- Improving Reading Skills in the Science Classroom (Glencoe)
- Primary Students and Informational Text (2006) Hallie Kay Yopp and Ruth Helen Yopp in Science and Children
Using trade books in the science classroom is one way to extend understanding of science content while integrating literacy skills. Here are some resources that describe the use trade books in science instruction.
- Bringing Back Books (2009) Gina Cervetti and Jacqueline Barber in Science and Children
- UsingTrade Books in Teaching Elementary Science: Facts and Fallacies (2002) Diana Rice in The Reading Teacher
- NSTA's Book Beat newsletter announces new NSTA publications and highlight tips and lesson ideas.